My 2year old has a bad temper problem what can or should I do?

Dr. Willa Terry
In brief: Tantrum tips
Temper tantrums are a normal behavior in toddlers.
Tips to help prevent tantrums: 1/ maintain a schedule and consistent routine so your child can predict the day’s activities. 2/ reward her for positive behavior and praise her when she is doing well, “nice job sharing your toys.” 3/ when tantrums occur, help her redirect by substituting a desired activity, for example read a book together.

In brief: Tantrum tips
Dr. Willa Terry
Dr. Willa Terry
2 comments
Dr. James Glauber
Agree, but I've always said that a tantrum is sort of like a thunderstorm. You just have to weather it and let it pass before you can move on to the next thing. Intervening in the midst of the storm may not be useful.
Dr. Erica Zwernemann
I like to approach tantrums based on the trigger. If you are asking too much of your toddler, such as waiting a long time at a restaurant or keeping him from his nap, correcting the situation is ideal. If your child is just angry that she cannot draw on the walls, matter of factly take her out of the situation and wait for her to calm on her own.
Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Another Approach
Another approach is to put the child in a safe place, such as a play pen, walk away and ignore the tantrum. Then as soon as it is over, give the baby a hug to reinforce good behavior. Ignoring tantrums appears to be the best way to minimize them.

In brief: Another Approach
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: All good answers!
Effective time-out (t-o) = walk him from behind to t-o without talking or showing anger as many times as he leaves t-o + 1; when he stays put, set the timer for 1 minute/year of age.
Walk him out of time out when done. The behavior will get worse at first, as he tests to see if he can get you to engage. If you ignore it consistently, it'll go away. Frequently reward behaviors you want. See below.

In brief: All good answers!
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Jonathan Jassey