I know nosebleeds are common during pregnancy, but yesterday I coughed up blood. Could this be something serious?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Yes...

Coughing blood, called hemoptysis, is a symptom which always requires a doctor's evaluation.
If you have shortness of breath, you should go to the nearest er now! call your doctor today and let him/her know of this symptom. Possibilities include bronchitis but blood clot in your lungs, especially during pregnancy, is another possiblity. This could be a life-threatening problem. See a doctor today!

In brief: Yes...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy

In brief: No

Superficial blood vessels during pregnancy are quite fragile.
This along with the hormone changes of pregnancy make them more susceptible to spontaneous bleeding like nose bleeds and cough induced bleeding. Usually the bleeding is small in amount and subsides after pregnancy is over.

In brief: No

Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Adam Levy