My husband has a cousin born with club foot. I’ve heard this is a genetic condition. Should I be worried about my baby?

Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
In brief: No
There is a genetic component involved but this is small.
If present, this can be usually detected at the 20 week ultrasound. If it is detected at this time, then is is important to rule out other malformations. If club foot is the only anomaly, an orthopedic surgeon evaluates the baby and outlines a treatment plan that involves physical therapy and perhaps surgery.

In brief: No
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Marion Dunn
In brief: Club Feet
Club feet may be a congenital deformity at birth.
However, my nephew had club feet and my brother had him take swimming lessons to strengthen his legs and he is now an excellent swimmer.

In brief: Club Feet
Dr. Marion Dunn
Dr. Marion Dunn
In brief: Club foot
There is a genetic link to club foot that researchers have now found in many cases.
Some patients will get club foot due to other factors, I have even seen trauma cause a club foot. If an ultrasound hasn't detected it in the womb it is unlikely that your baby has it. Congratulations on the baby and best wishes!

In brief: Club foot
Dr. Ashley Vanderloop
Dr. Ashley Vanderloop