My sister’s son was born with a cleft palate. I am now pregnant and worried my baby may inherit it. Is there anything I can do? Is it genetic?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: About 30% of cleft
Palates are associated with a genetic syndrome.
You can ask your OB for a referral to a prenatal genetic counselor, who'll ask you for a 3-generation family history of problems with vision, hearing , bones & joints, motor & cognitive development. If recommended, a second-trimester 3-d fetal ultrasound may show a cleft palate if baby's face is turned just right for visualizing the palate.

In brief: About 30% of cleft
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Richard Ruden
Dentistry
In brief: Maybe
Traditionally, the diagnosis is made at the time of birth by physical examination.
Recent advances in prenatal diagnosis have allowed obstetricians to diagnose facial clefts in utero. Genetic factors contributing to cleft lip and cleft palate formation have been identified for some cases, but knowledge about genetic factors that contribute to the more common isolated cases of cleft lip is sketchy.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Richard Ruden
Dr. Richard Ruden
Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Genetic consultation
Some cleft palates run in families and are inherited, others are not.
Dna testing can be done to identify some of those that are inherited. You should discuss this with your OB and get a referral to a genetics counselor or medical geneticist for more information.

In brief: Genetic consultation
Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
In brief: Multifactorial
Both genetic and environmental factors contribute to cleft palate anomaly.
Genetically, you cannot do anything. Certain prescription medications such as steroids, medications used to control epilepsy, etc are associated with this risk. Any medication use during pregnancy should be with caution.

In brief: Multifactorial
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Parul Krishnamurthy
Dr. Eric Weisman