When is it safe to give my child aspirin?

In brief: NEVER!

..Is pretty much the only indication left for giving children aspirin.
For all others, the possibility of a life-threatening reaction to Aspirin is too serious to ignore.

In brief: NEVER!

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
2 comments
Dr. Ihab Ibrahim
I would agree. Never. But not everyone agrees. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reyes-syndrome/DS00142
Dr. Muhammad Arif
Agree. Rare, but deadly adverse reaction.
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management

In brief: Never

Life threatening reactions are possible.

In brief: Never

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld

In brief: Maybe after age 16

A rare condition leading to liver failure and death emerged in the 60's,peaked in the 70's and has declined after we linked it to aspirin use during chickenpox/flu.
Since that time we have developed and tested better products, and aspirin is rarely used and then only for specific conditions in kids.I would just never use it in kids, though it might be safe after the end of puberty.

In brief: Maybe after age 16

In brief: Rarely

Children should not take aspirin, unless prescribed by a doctor for a special disease.
Instead, children can take acetominophen (tylenol) for a brief time, as instructed by a doctor to treat fevers, pains, and sprains. Babies under 2-3 months of age should not take any medicine without a doctor's advice.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Ruben Rucoba

In brief: 19 years old

If your child takes Aspirin for a fever or illness, she runs the risk of getting reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal illness.
Reye's syndrome is most commonly seen in children and teens after a viral illness. Taking Aspirin for the fever or aches during this illness increases the risk of reye's syndrome. Don't ever give Aspirin to your child for a fever.

In brief: 19 years old

Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. William Nall
Sports Medicine

In brief: No

Not unless they have a rare disease called kawasaki disease would you ever give a child aspirin.

In brief: No

Dr. William Nall
Dr. William Nall
Dr. Jonathan Jassey