A brother has Brugada syndrome type 2. Should I have ECG done before undergoing lithotripsy procedure with anesthesia?

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Pudently, yes...

Brugada syndrome, as you know, is a genetic disorder in which the electrical activity within the heart is abnormal.
Type 2 involves a certain gene affecting the sodium channel, adversely impacting cardiac muscle contraction. Up to 1/4 of those with the syndrome may have an affected family member. In my opinion, you should have a cardiac rhythm evaluation regardless of any pending procedures.

In brief: Pudently, yes...

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine