Phentermine diet pills? Is it a fast way to lose weight?

Dr. Jason Campbell

In brief: No

I would strongly avoid any and all dietary supplements as they will not provide long term weight loss and could possibly even be harmful.
Weight loss requires dietary changes and moderate exercise - with a larger focus on making dietary changes. Those who look to pills even to "help" with weight loss usually are not truly ready for making the changes necessary for long term weight loss success.

In brief: No

Dr. Jason Campbell
Dr. Jason Campbell
2 comments
Dr. Katharine Garnier
The diet pills, both over the counter and prescription, like phentermine, can possibly give you some side effects, like palpitation,racy heartbeat,high blood pressure, jitters, insomnia and agitation for some people. Many people who do lose weight using them have not made the dietary/exercise and behavioral changes needed to maintain their weight loss and they gain it back once they are off them.
Dr. Jason Campbell
Excellent comment! It really is a tough answer to hear as a patient interested in weight loss but calories in vs calories out will truly make the safest long term impact. Loseit.com is just one free example of a place for monitoring safe weight loss. Find an accountability partner as well to help encourage you in the challenge. Good luck with weight loss.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Phentermine

I do agree with dr. Campbell that there is no "fast" way to lose weight ----that leads to permanent stabilization of weight loss.
I have had significant weight loss success with patients using phentermine. It is necessary that the physician who utilizes Phentermine or any weight loss med is comfortable with prescribing and monitoring the patient.

In brief: Phentermine

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Steven Seres