I just found a lump in my breast that is very tender. I’m pregnant, so my breasts are changing. Could it be breast cancer? Should I be alarmed?

Dr. Jaime Lopez

In brief: Not likely

Any new breast lump that you find (even in pregnancy) should be evaluated by your physician.
Even pregnant women can rarely develop breast cancer, but this is more likely a benign condition like a clogged milk duct. Your doctor will decide if any additional testing is needed.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Jaime Lopez
Dr. Jaime Lopez

In brief: Get it checked.

The lump is probably due to hormone and glandular changes, but any lump should be taken seriously.
No need for alarm, but ask your doctor to check it. He or she might feel a breast ultrasound would be useful.

In brief: Get it checked.

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Probably not

Pain is not a common symptom of breast cancer.
However you should alert any changes in your breasts to your physician.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham