75 year old mom diagnosed stage 1 breast cancer, HER2+ in May 2017. mastectomy in July, then completed 12 weeks of Taxol & Herceptin. Dr wants to continue Herceptin 9 more months. She was very depleted from first treatments, not sure to continue?

Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Tough call

Chemotherapy is very debilitating.
Many patients are unable to continue with a 2nd course of chemotherapy if their white blood cells or platelets are too low or they are "wiped out". Ask your Mom's Oncologist (MD) if the data in the research literature supports an additional 9 months of chemoRx vis a vis an increase or decrease in the 5 year survival rate for stage I breast cancer.

In brief: Tough call

Chemotherapy is very debilitating.
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery