Besides med and sitz baths, what else can I do try and help speed up the healing on anal fissure?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Anal Fissure
Conservative treatment consists of a high-fiber diet, adequate fluid intake, sitz baths, and topical analgesia.
Stool softeners can be useful to make defecation less uncomfortable. New tx is to add: Nitroglycerin intra-anal: (0.2 to 0.4%) apply small amount to the affected area(s) twice daily for 6 weeks or order Diltiazem topical by compound pharmacy.

In brief: Anal Fissure
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Joseph Hermann
In brief: Fiber
Having smooth and regular bowel movements is probably the simplest and most effective way to help heal an anal fissure; plus, it helps reduce the pain and bleeding.
I like metamucil (or generic psyllium husk) and you can find it almost anywhere. Eat a very healthy diet with lots of fiber and taking a good multi-vitamin(without iron) may help if you have any deficiencies that might delay healing.

In brief: Fiber
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Michio Abe
In brief: Avoid constipation
You should be on high-fiber diet and stool softeners to avoid constipation.
Topical nitroglycerin, calcium channel blockers, Botox injection or surgery can help if it's severe.

In brief: Avoid constipation
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery