Should I stop eating fish while i’m nursing because of the mercury?

Dr. Laura Webb
In brief: Nope!
In fact, many types of fish have high levels of omega 3 fatty acids, which will help the baby's brain development, so fish is a great thing to eat while nursing.
Salmon, especially has high levels of these unsaturated fats. The breasts are good filters and less mercury comes thru in the milk than is actually in your bloodstream. Some do recommend eating no more than 4 oz/wk of tuna.

In brief: Nope!
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Paul Trani
In brief: What type of fish?
There are plenty of fish out there that have no discernible mercury in them. I don't have space for the entire list, but I use a smartphone app called safe seafood to determine what fish to buy for my wife or not - catfish, alaskan salmon, us tilapia, and rainbow trout are all decent choices.
Stay away from chilean sea bass, grouper, farmed atlantic salmon, asian tilapia, and most tuna.

In brief: What type of fish?
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Paul Trani
Dr. Jay Park
In brief: No
Deep sea fish is an excellent source for omega-3 fatty acid which enhances neuronal development in infant's brain.
Because of a concern about contamination of sea fish with mercury, limiting seafood consumption to twice a week has been recommended. If you still feels uncomfortable, you can buy a pure dha (same omega-3 fatty acid added to infant formula) from nutrition product stores.

In brief: No
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
In brief: No but eat less fish
Not unless a breastfeeding mom has high levels of mercury, should a baby be able to get mercury poisoning just from breastmilk.
The concentration of mercury in the breastmilk is less than the level in the mom's blood. Breastfeeding moms can limit their fish intake to 2 meals a week, and avoid the high-mercury types of fish, just to be safe. Mom's who eat much fish can get a blood mercury test.

In brief: No but eat less fish
Dr. Jonathan Jassey