A week ago I either started getting tinnitis or I just started noticing it and have been suffering from the "noticing". I don't have health insurance.?

Tinnitus. Be sure to avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds (i.e., aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.). Tylenol (acetaminophen) is ok. When possible see ENT for evaluation/hearing testing. Also, see web site: entnet.Org which has information on tinnitus and all common ENT problems.
OTC treatment. It is easy to pay a lot of $ for a tinnitus work up, but it very rarely uncovers anything sinister (this isn't chest pain....). Start with plenty of sleep, avoid alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, excess sodium, and loud noise; hydrate, and turn on some static on the radio or a fan at night. You might try otc lipo-flavonoid, arches tinnitus formula, or tinnitusdx.
Tinnitus. Even though the sounds in your ear are of recent onset, it is important to know if it is on one side and if there is a hearing loss associated with it. Although it is true that tinnitus as an isolated symptom is rarely associated with a serious disease, certain ear diseases such as acoustic tumor can very rarely be associated with unilateral tinnitus. See an ENT specialist.