Whenver I blow my nose there's droplets of blood and bloody mucus in the tissue. Is this normal? Could it be a sign of infection or cancer?

Dr. John Chastain
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probably not

Especially in dry winter air, some blood when you blow your nose can be normal.
If this is unusual for you, and if you have other symptoms (congestion, fatigue, drainage, etc.), it could be a symptom of sinus infection. It would be very rare for this symptom to mean you have cancer. A simple treatment would be to start moisturizing with saline spray and a little vaseline periodically.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. John Chastain
Dr. John Chastain
2 comments
Dr. David Mann
also, saline gel works very well. dont pick or blow nose hard
Dr. Gregory Boger
Some people disagree with me but I suggest a little neosporin or bacitracin ointment applied with a q tip.
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Variety of causes

Epistaxis or a bloody nose can be caused by a variety of diseases.
Dryness of the mucus membrane of the nose, picking at the nose and viral infections are common causes because the most common area for bleeding is the front-bottom of the septum or midline partition of the nose. However, spontaneous bleeds or blood from blowing needs to be checked to rule out serious disease.

In brief: Variety of causes

Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Steven Seres