I have a constant pain in my toe next to my picky toe. It is swelled a bit and always aches. I have done nothing to it. What could cause this?

Dr. Vic Kalman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Many things
The toe seem to always run into something so get an x-ray to be sure it is not broken.
A nail problem can cause toe pain. Arthritis can cause pain and swelling as well as other arthritic conditions. You could have stepped on something that is embedded in your skin. It could be as simple as the shoes you are wearing. Bottom line if persistent get it checked.

In brief: Many things
Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Suggests arthritis
The location of the swelling in the toe is important.
It can be a swollen toe joint, but it can be a swollen tendon. Is the whole toe swollen?This can depend on your general health. Do you have any health problems? Do you have arthritis elsewhere? Do you have a skin rash like psoriasis. Some times psoriasis can cause a swollen toe. You will need an evaluation to clarify this.

In brief: Suggests arthritis
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Vikram Patel