I’m having brown discharge but not supposed to have my period for another week, and I’ve been on the same BC pills for over a year. Is this serious?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Breakthrough bleed

Breakthrough bleeding (bleeding at the wrong time) is very normal on birth control.
It happens in about 1/3 of users. Its no big deal and usually self corrects over time. If you are not satisfied or it continues to happen then consider using a different birth control method. It is a common side effect and does not mean something is wrong or that the Nuvaring is not working.

In brief: Breakthrough bleed

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Eva Pickler

In brief: Not likely

Sometimes women start experiencing spotting, brown discharge even after being on the same pills for a long time.
If this persists through several cycles, speak to your doctor about alternatives to the current pill. Often changing the pill formulation will help this to resolve.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Eva Pickler
Dr. Eva Pickler
Dr. Adam Levy