What can cause a heartrate to zoom to over 225 bpm? I went to the hospital but they released me, without running tests, because I am uninsured.

Dr. Cynthia Point
In brief: Many things
I'm sorry you had this experience.
Your heart rate can go that fast if you have been really pushing exercise, and you are young. If you are middle aged or older, it could be atrial fibrillation, which can be serious. Rarely anxiety can cause the heart to beat that fast, in a normal pattern. High thyroid function can increase the heart rate too. Please get some follow up.

In brief: Many things
I'm sorry you had this experience.
Dr. Cynthia Point
Dr. Cynthia Point
3 comments
Dr. Cynthia Point
Thanks for the additional information. The doctors at the emergency are right, don't let it go on so long. If could be Atrial Fibrillation, has anyone told you what the pattern is? Both diltiazem and metoprolol are good to reduce the rate. Try to find a Cardiologist to talk to about the testing. You might be able to work out a deal, and some hospitals have money set aside for paying for care
Dr. Samuel Hahn
Sounds like you have PSVT or paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. Medications can typically control it but depending on the exact cause, there are curative procedures as well. If there is an academic medical center nearby, you should get into the cardiac clinic there and they should be able to help you regardless of the insurance issue.
Dr. Kevin Lingle
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: See a doc
Different arrhythmias ca do this and some can be dangerous, please find a local md.
Some can be very easily and cheaply treated.

In brief: See a doc
Dr. Kevin Lingle
Dr. Kevin Lingle
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology