If pt uses ultra sound on my low back for aching muscles and a bulging disc. Can my back muscles go into severe spasms because of the ultra sound?

Dr. Vic Kalman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Usually not

Ultrasound is a modality that produces sound waves that pass through the skin cause a vibration of the local tissues.
This vibration can cause a deep heating locally though usually no sensation of heat will be felt by the patient unless the probe is kept still. It has been shown to cause increases in tissue relaxation, local blood flow, and scar tissue breakdown. The probe must always be moving.

In brief: Usually not

Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. Vic Kalman

In brief: Possible.

If you also have pinched nerve in back then some believe that ultrasound may cause more irritation to nerve by the heat generated and may give more spasm. This is still controversial.

In brief: Possible.

Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi
Dr. Nalinaksha Joshi