I am experiencing stiff Knee pain, left knee giveaways I did an mri on both knees I have meniscus tear in both knees First do I have to do the operation? I did two acl surgeries in left knee Can I do it in both knee in same day What recovery period

Dr. Hamsa Jayaraj

In brief: Orthopedic consult

You had 2 left knee ACL surgeries & now left knee givesway.

Try to pick non surgical treatments.- physiotherapy & injections in to the joints can be tried

In brief: Orthopedic consult

Dr. Hamsa Jayaraj
Dr. Hamsa Jayaraj
2 comments
Dr. Lori Lange
Could use a knee brace from pharmacy to give your knee extra support while it recovers. Just another non-surgical consideration. Will help prevent the knee from giving way.
Dr. Peter Ihle
PT does not have a place here, nor braces. It’s an internal problem like a bad transmission, needs to be fixed surgically. A torn meniscus does not heal.
Dr. Keith Johnson
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Arthritis

Given age, 2 prior ACL reconstructions, & current symptoms, you likely have traumatic arthritis.
The status of your ACL graft, type of meniscus tear, & severity of arthritis will determine the treatment recs. To answer your Q: you never HAVE to have surgery, & both knees can be scoped simultaneously. BUT I agree - try PT, ACL brace, injections, and anti inflammatories before considering a 3rd sx

In brief: Arthritis

Dr. Keith Johnson
Dr. Keith Johnson
Dr. Peter Ihle
The symptoms are due to the menisci, & is not due to ACL, there may be some instability, but with the torn menisci, this needs to be addressed surgically, & @ that time the ACL grafts and instability can be evaluated,& give information to come up with a plan of care to be done later.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Surgery is the best-

-but only one at a time.
I never would do both, & have done over a thousand + knee-scopes. That’s my personal opinion. Ask your orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: Surgery is the best-

-but only one at a time.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine