With a flare up from gout, my doctor got me taking allopurinol. Does this make it worse since its already flared up?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not for acute attack

Allopurinol is used to ocntrol the uric acid level.
It is not initiated for an attack, nor is it stopped if you have an attack and you already are on it. It used for long term control of the uric level level -to keep it below 6 as dr villaplana states. For the acute attack therapy includes, aspiration of the joint and inejction, oral colchicine, nsaids or even corticosteroid.

In brief: Not for acute attack

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: ?

During acute attacks you may not want to start it.
Once acute attack resolved, it is a very effective drug to lower blood levels of utica acid, decreasing the frequency of attacks. Goal is to get level below 6.

In brief: ?

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Arnon Rubin