Could you have a functional relationship with a borderline personality disorder?

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Beyond

...2learn that dr marsha linehan, respected psychologist credited w/developing new approach 4treating borderline personality disorder dubbed "dialectical behavior therapy" herself had been diagnosed w/bdp.
Read her story via @nytimes http://nyti.Ms/yxtgz8 with expert help, it's possible 2develop strong sense of self & 2develop self-soothing skills + ability 2communicate feelings effectively.

In brief: Beyond

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Linehan's story is inspiring for all of us -- and her contributions to the field, huge. However, she is a PhD psychologist, not a psychiatrist.
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Thanks for your catch, Dr. Pappas! I've published the correction!
Dr. Neil Liebowitz

It can be challenging and there is a range of severity in borderline pd.
I recommend dbt (dialective behavioral therapy)for bpd. Providing a stable caring relationship for someone with bpd can be very therapeutic.

Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Variability

I agree with my colleagues about the range of illness severity, and the helpfulness of dbt.
If the person is committed to both self-acceptance and need for change, the storms in relatedness may gradually quiet. Without intensive therapy along w/dbt, the suffering inside the bpd person can be so intense that perceptions are very distorted, and the partner's emotional reserves are used up too.

In brief: Variability

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Eric Weisman