Can my 14 year old son lift up heavy weights thank you?

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine

In brief: Yes, conditionally

It's reasonable to begin weight lifting around the time of puberty.
Your son needs qualified instruction and supervision. He should begin with light weights and higher reps (i.e. 10 lb. Dumbbell curls, 2 sets 15 reps/set). No maxing out. Someone knowledgeable should spot him for bench and overhead presses. Allow for at least one day of rest between workouts involving the same muscle group.

In brief: Yes, conditionally

Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Marjorie Delo
The concern with kids lifting is always the growth plates, but I agree, as long as kids are not maxing and are performing higher reps with low-moderate weights, it can help with athletic performance. And I agree that form is key to prevent injury, so supervision if very important.

In brief: Maybe,maybe not

Strength training is ok an any age under the guidance of qualified trainers.
The growth plates in the long bones are not as strong as ligaments, so little johnie playing conan will fracture a growth plate before he sprains a ligament. The aap recomends a kid be at stage 5 (end) of puberty before involvement in power lifting or other such events. If shaving daily, stinky &

In brief: Maybe,maybe not

Dr. Shontae Buffington