My baby always throws up after coughing, should I call my doctor?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

Always is a very powerful word.
...So if your baby always throws up after coughing, i would want him seen. Food is meant to go down the digestive tract, not up (except when one has a stomach bug). (s)he could just have reflux or perhaps a mild respiratory condition. When parents use "always" and "never" and mean it, i generally want to evaluate that child.

Always is a very powerful word.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Depends

Coughing & vomiting are similar events to a little kids system. Both involve the diaphram and a child may not be able to hold back a spit up if they cough deeply.
Lack of concern on their part & a willingness to feed or drink soon after makes this more of an accidental eruption. Persistent episodes require an office visit to verify stable weight and identify a cause for the cough.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Craig Canapari

I frequently see children with chronic cough in my practice.
If vomiting after coughing occurs in this context, i wonder if acid reflux may be a contributing factor.

Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Craig Canapari
Dr. Ruben Rucoba

In brief:

If the baby or child is vomiting too much, for any reason, she may get dehydrated.
Signs of dehydration include urinating less than three times in 24 hours, dry mouth, inability to make tears, and a listless appearance. If your child exhibits these signs, she needs to be evaluated immediately.

In brief:

Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba

In brief: Depends

Vomiting after coughing is common in children, and usually not significant.
More important is the cough itself. Any cough that is causing difficulty breathing warrants immediate attention (visit to the er or your doctor right now). Any cough that is constant, chronic, accompanied by a whoop or wheezing or fever, or occurs in an infant less than 2 months should be evaluated by your doctor.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Ruben Rucoba
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology