I have small bumps on my face and have been using a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide wash but it doesn't help or hurt. Should i switch to salicylic acid wash?

Dr. John cuong Doan

In brief: Answer depends on

if you actually have acne vulgaris.
Peroxide and salicylic acid tends to be caustic to the skin over long period of time, so you need to have a moisturizer (if you have dry skin) or oily formula (for oily skin) in order to protect your skin especially from the sun. Face and pore washing (NOT exfoliation) daily is also key, so use a mild soap without too many chemicals like Clearasil.

In brief: Answer depends on

if you actually have acne vulgaris.
Dr. Lourdes Borges ruiz

In brief: Exfoliation helps

Mild exfoliation will help to clear those bumps.
I recommend use of Differin gel 0.1% that is now over the counter or a Retinol product like Roc. You may also try an alpha hydroxyl product. Always use spf 30 sunblock as the exfoliating treatments will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Good luck!

In brief: Exfoliation helps

Dr. Daniel Lebowitz
Board Certified, Anti-Aging Medicine