What would cause my blood pressure to suddenly spike (a month ago) and stay hypertensive after years of very low BP? ED had me at 143/101 HR 102 two days ago. Wrist cuff measurement today of 139/100 HR 92. Flutter feeling, no arrhythmia in the pulse.

Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Get a medical check

High blood pressure can be caused by some known yet many unknown reasons.
It requires testing by your doctor who needs to confirm your BP on 3 occasions 1 week apart and also check your kidney function and blood electrolytes. Excess of adrenal hormones can also cause high BP. You should seek consultation with your PCP for complete evaluation and then start the appropriate treatment for high BP.

In brief: Get a medical check

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine