What are some medical conditions affecting blood alcohol level?

Dr. Evan Altman

In brief: Liver impairment

Your liver is responsible for a huge number of jobs in the body, to include taking care of drugs & toxins (including alcohol).
If liver impaired, diseased, or damaged, its ability to break down alcohol will be less. Alcohol dehydrogenase & rarely other enzymes can be missing or in short supply. Any of these would mean alcohol cannot be metabolized fully or at all & bal goes up and could be lethal.

In brief: Liver impairment

Dr. Evan Altman
Dr. Evan Altman
Dr. Donald Jacobson
Lack of alcohol dehydrogense is found in some ethnic groups, one of whom was Korean, and suck alcohol into my house. When I found her, she was unresponsive. At the ER she had a level of 0.46. Six hours later she was only down to 0.4. No teenager ever entered my house after that without having to take their coats off and showing empty pockets. Found bottles were promptly emptied.
Dr. Marsha Davis