Food safety. The american academy of pediatrics advises that honey should not be added to food, water, or formula that is fed to infants younger than 1 year age because of risk of botulism toxin – a spore that can cause types of paralysis. Older children and adults have acids in their intestines that can neutralize the toxin, so the risk is not as great for children over 1.
Yes. Honey is ok to give to children older than 1 year. I'm interested in why you are giving honey water. Is it a beverage or to soothe a cough? I don't feel it should be a regular part of her diet, but would be ok for specific reasons. Fyi-if for a cough, it'll work better if you just give 1/2-1tsp by itself. Note dr. Terry's response re: botulism-don't give to children under 1 year of age.