What to do if my 3 week old baby can not poop?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Depends

This needs more information.
Do you mean that he/she has never "pooped"? Are there any associated symptoms that suggest pain or discomfort. It seems to me that you should visit your pediatrician.

In brief: Depends

This needs more information.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Hirshsprungs disease

One of the concerns with babies that do not poop well, is a disease called hirshsprung's.
It means the nerves in the lower part of the colon have not developed, so that peristalsis does not occur. This can only be diagnosed with a rectal biopsy after a barium enema is done and shows suspician for a transitional zone where it is evedent that the innervation stops. Very important to be seen soon.

In brief: Hirshsprungs disease

Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo

In brief: Question unclear

If the kid has never pooped it has a blockage and needs evaluation.
If you mean he doesn't poop much, more info is needed. Breast fed babies can have a little smear with each feed or have one big blowout every 7-10 days.Bottle fed kids will poo more predictably & should go daily. If the poo is soft it is not considered constipation.

In brief: Question unclear

Dr. Jane Van Dis