I was told I could take azithromycin for a wisdom tooth infection. I have a sealed but expired Z-pack ... Is it okay to take?

Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: Told?

In this era of social media, "told" means so may things.
Please get it evaluated to make sure you have a treatable bacterial infection and (if so) your doc will give you a prescription for a fresh antibiotic appropriate to your situation. Not all pain is infection related so my advice is to actually address the problem with your wisdom teeth as even a round of abx really only abates symptoms.

In brief: Told?

Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Please follow Dr. DeWolf’s very sound advice.

In brief: See below

See your dentist for definitive treatment and follow through.
An antibiotic will only help on a temporary basis.

In brief: See below

Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: How long exp???

You forgot to include the exp.
date!!!!!! !0 years ago? 10 weeks ago? Most, not all, meds are effective long after their expiration dates, which are arbitrary. A more interesting question is the nature of the problem and a question about best therapy.

In brief: How long exp???

You forgot to include the exp.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Outdated medications

Will not harm you, but efficacy the medication increases exponentially as you pass the expiration date.
Antibiotics limit spread of dental infections by definitive dental treatment is required to affect a cure. See a wisdom tooth expert, and Oral Surgeon, for evaluation and appropriate treatment.

In brief: Outdated medications

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnon Rubin