What's the best way when afraid to admit you need help with substance abuse addiction that works and helps get you in the right direction?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Asking for help

This is a good start on the internet, however the next step can cause more anxiety but once you do it you will be glad you did.
Call someone and make an appoinment for help, be that your doctor, couselor, going to an aa or na meeting, perhaps even contacting a inpatient or out patient rehab. Make that call, you can do it, it does get better with help, and there is lots of help out there.

In brief: Asking for help

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
2 comments
One of your greatest concerns right now is that you will lose your current friends. The step you have just taken requires great courage. Trust us -- you will get BETTER friends, REAL friends. For now, don't argue or try to be clever -- just accept the warmth these folks will show someone they perceive trying to recover. Good luck.
Dr. Robert Thilo
Ask for help!! You can't do this alone. Alcoholism is a slow form of suicide, the highest form of selfishness. The problem is self. Self-centeredness, self-delusion are the root. Get treatment and go to AA. That's where you will find other people who are recovering and the solution: WE not I. Ask for help!!
Pathology

In brief: You just did it

You just have shown the courage.
To be brave, act brave. Fake it until you make it. You are doing the greatest possible favor to yourself and those around you. It's like lancing your own boil -- grit your teeth and do it. I've never had a substance abuse problem, but have had many times when i've had to "just do something" despite being terrified. You'll be in my thoughts -- good luck!

In brief: You just did it

You just have shown the courage.
Dr. Horacio Capote

In brief: An Evaluation

Get an evaluation at an outpatient addiction clinic.
They can begin to guide you through the process of recovery. There are many paths to recovery. In the process, you will learn a lot about yourself.

In brief: An Evaluation

Dr. Horacio Capote
Dr. Horacio Capote
Dr. Adam Front
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Counseling

It is a scary thing to face having a substance abuse problem. U r to be commended for even asking the question.
Find a therapist who can help u explore your use and examine the evidence about it. Many therapists who work w/ recovery will help u to come to your own conclusion without assuming one way or another right away. Some substance abuse programs can help u in this way or refer u to someone.

In brief: Counseling

Dr. Adam Front
Dr. Adam Front