Is treating schizophrenia with cognitive behavioral therapy more or less beneficial than treating schizophrenia with the atypical antipsychotic risperidone?

Dr. Ernest Bordini
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Doubful

Antispychotic medications are primary proven ttreatments for schizophrenia - though cognitive-behavioral and interpersonall therapies can help build skills, coping, provide support and reduce negative impact and reduce frequency of psychotic episodes of decompensation.
Few believe it is a substitue - since the moder marvel of medication allows many people to function relatively normally in society.

In brief: Doubful

Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ernest Bordini
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Like Air & Water?

Given the suffering that schizophrenia (& schizoaffective disorder) can cause people living w/it, as well as their families, i'd say both medication psychotherapy are key 2 thriving, just like air & water. And the quality of medication treatment, as well as the quality of psychotherapy, are further matters! as far as therapy, it'd b helpful 2find clinician skilled in using range of approaches.

In brief: Like Air & Water?

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein

In brief: In my opinion - no

I would not use only cognitive behavioral therapy for the treatment of schizoprhenia.
Use of cognitive behavioral therapy to challenge delusions may lead to alienation of the patient and fracture the therapeutic alliance.

In brief: In my opinion - no

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: CBT

Not likely, but worth a try, especially if combine both, to teach social skills & coping.

In brief: CBT

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali