How do I lessen my baby’s morning eye crust?

Dr. Scott Katz

In brief: A warm wash cloth

Gently wiping with a warm, wet wash cloth is the best method.
If the crusting is persistent, the skin around the eye is red or your baby's eyes are bloodshot or sensitive to light, then it is recommended to check with your pediatrician.

In brief: A warm wash cloth

Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: You dont really

This crusting generally comes from tears that pool while sleeping.
The tears accumulate more in a closed eye (and in babies drain less easily) and dry out and crust. This is common in babies and is technically not a problem. Wipe the crust with a warm washcloth in the morning and this will improve as the child ages.

In brief: You dont really

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw