Will my baby’s mongolian spot go away?

In brief: Usually

Mongolian spots, or slate grey patches, are a concentrated area of melanocytes (the cells that give your skin its pigment).
Over time those cells spread out and the slate grey patch gets lighter as the baby's over all skin tone gets darker. Most slate grey patches are gone by the time the child is in preschool, though for some people they never completely disappear.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Dr. Kathleen Forcier

In brief: Maybe

I've seen some fade as the skin thickens and some persist well into young adulthood.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Carol Jacobs

In brief: Fades

The birthmark is harmless and usually fades between the ages of 3-5 years - a few will last up until puberty.

In brief: Fades

Dr. Carol Jacobs
Dr. Carol Jacobs
Dr. Scott Katz

Mongolian spots are very common and can be mistaken for bruising.
They usually fade by 8 years old. There is no current treatment to make them fade sooner.

Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Cindy Juster