I have Folliculitis on my chest and back. I have been taking Doxycycline for 4 days but no improvement yet. How long does it take for antibiotic to begin clearing this up? Itching and stinging are very uncomfortable.

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Contact your doctor

Assuming the diagnosis is correct and the folliculitis is an infection (not all cases are), there should have been improvement by now.
However, it can take a week or more. Doxycycline isn't the usual antibiotic for folliculitis, but it often would work. Contact the doctor who prescribed it. If you are treating yourself, stop the doxycycline and see a doctor.

In brief: Contact your doctor

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine