I have been told I have a grade 1 tear of the ligament of the right index finger , how long does it take to heal ?

Dr. Noel So
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Varies.
Typically a grade 1 means there is pain with minimal injury to the ligament.
If there is an actual tear, the grade goes up to a grade 2 or 3. Healing varies per person. When there is full range of motion, no swelling, and equal strength compared to your opposite hand, then it is safe to return to sports.

In brief: Varies.
Dr. Noel So
Dr. Noel So
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Motion, compression
Grade 1 sprains cause no long term problems and generally heal in 4-6 weeks (or sooner).
They heal best when the joint is kept moving. Treatment consists of motion, control of the swelling, and gentle compression around the joint.

In brief: Motion, compression
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: "Heal" quickly
I use quotes because while the ligament "heals" quickly, the finger can remain swollen and stiff for a very long time.
Sometimes it's just a matter of weeks; other times many months. Either way, the best treatment is to keep moving and stretching the finger joint.

In brief: "Heal" quickly
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Marsha Davis