How do I get my mom and sister to stop smoking? I have a newborn and my sister is pregnant. What can I do to help my baby and hers?

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal

In brief: Get help from her dr

Most everyone knows how bad smoking is in general, for kids and during pregnancy.
Most women are motivated enough by this to stop smoking at least while pregnant. If your sister has not been, then it is just a reflection of how strong her addiction is. She may have underlying psychological issues (anxiety, depression, feelings towards nw baby) that unless addresses, will not "allow her" to quit.

In brief: Get help from her dr

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Martin Raff
And for your baby, do not allow them to smoke when around the infant. Second-hand smoke can be as bad as smoking. Destructive to baby's health and welfare. It may be difficult to put your foot down, but essential for your baby.
Dr. Arthur Hoffman

In brief: FIRMLY

Let's have an ''intervention'' :your doc, their doc, your sister's doc all on skype.
If your mom insists on hurting these cuddles-well that sure isn't maternal, grand maternal.Same theme for sis. "not around my baby".. All together. This may seem irreverent, but you will get the point of this is not to stop their smoking; just as long as it is at least 3 houses away.

In brief: FIRMLY

Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Arthur Hoffman
Dr. Karl Spector
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Whatever it takes!!

I would bet that your mom and sister are actually jealous of you! certainly, their doctor may be able help them quit-- especially with new treatments available (like prescription chantix).
Even if they go outside to smoke, it can still trigger asthma or allergy problems in your newborn as the smoke stays on clothes. Electronic cigarettes, not fda approved, have helped some people quit as well.

In brief: Whatever it takes!!

Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Adam Levy