I have a PSA done once each year. Along with various other blood tests, this is purely a routine check. However, as a matter of interest, is it true that the PSA level never falls if a person has prostate cancer?

In brief: See below.

IF an elevated PSA is due to prostate cancer, then in the absence of treatment, one would not expect a significant, reproducible decline keeping in mind that there can be PSA variations within the body of 10-20%; not uncommon to have variations both within a specific lab and/or between different labs; and that one can have prostate cancer with PSA variations occurring for unrelated reasons.

In brief: See below.

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. Gregory Lewis
Dr. James Lin
Urology

In brief: Not necessary, but..

Hi! Frank, your concern on PSA / prostate cancer is common for men, and requires quite a space to explain.
So, I prepared a category of PSA & prostate cancer in http://formefirst.com/onPSA-P-Ca.html for you to review. Thereby you gain much insight on ramifying issues on PSA / prostate cancer. As well, you can work much better with your doctor so to reach right diagnosis for right care. Best ...

In brief: Not necessary, but..

Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Hi! Frank, it is nice of you to let Healthtap and its doctor know the answer was very helpful, especially those inside the links. If interested in exploring more on how to live a long happy life, welcome to peruse articles in the related categories as listed in the HOME of www.formefirst.com, which is specially prepared for the people in the world like you in need. More? Welcome to contact...
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc

In brief: Not true

PSA does fall if treatment ( for prostate cancer) is working, it might never be in normal range, but I have seen cases where it went from 3 digits( hundreds) to 1 digit (6-7) if the treatment works.
PSA is otherwise no longer recommended to be checked yearly routinely for patients that are otherwise low risk for prostate cancer.

In brief: Not true

Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Pathology

In brief: Never say never

If there is an infarct in the gland and cancer, the PSA level may rise temporarily and then drop to the baseline level, which may be a high level in itself.

Wish you good health!

In brief: Never say never

Wish you good health!
Dr. Keegan Duchicela