I have a abscess in left breast I had drained and now have to pack with gauze twice a day. How long till it should heal and no longer have to pack?

Dr. William Dailey
In brief: That depends
It depends on the size of te abscess and how well the infection is clearing.
I would say 1-2 weeks would be fairly typical.

In brief: That depends
Dr. William Dailey
Dr. William Dailey
Dr. Miguel Cano
In brief: Until it's closed
Unfortunately you may have to change dressings until the open defect is entirely closed.
This prevents another infection from forming. The good news is that your doc may close it with steri-strips if it cleans up nicely and the skin edges line up nicely (dpc - delayed primary closure) so do just as instructed. You'll know it's working if the edges are nice and pinkish-red with no further drainage.

In brief: Until it's closed
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Adam Levy