How do I know if my interstitial cystitis is flaring up or if I am getting a UTI? I was just recently diagnosed with IC, and don't have much experience managing it beyond using a bladder friendly diet.

Dr. John Berryman

In brief: Urgency cystitis

The symptoms of UTI and "interstitial cystitis" are similar, but the "IC" symptoms are more frequent, and not based on active infection, but a more sensitive and muscular bladder wall, which can produce some incontinence also.
At 24, it is unusual to have acquired "IC", so perhaps it is chronic urethritis, which can be treated favorably by urethral dilation: see a female urologist for advice.

In brief: Urgency cystitis

Dr. Erik Goluboff
Best way to know if you have a UTI is to have your urine tested for urine culture. If it shows bacteria, it is a UTI.
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not easy

But once a pattern has been established, you will know what is bothering you.
If you are not prone to bladder infection and cystoscopy showed that you had IC, one would assume that IC is your issue or vice versa. Do note that the presence of one condition does not exclude the other.

In brief: Not easy

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham