My throat has been feeling like there is something stuck in there or like I am being choked. What could this be?

Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Globus pharyngeus
Globus pharyngeus is the sensation of fullness (or something is stuck) in the top of your throat.
Globus pharyngeus is caused by acid reflux and typically improves within 4 to 6 weeks of taking acid suppression medication.

In brief: Globus pharyngeus
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Atypical reflux
Atypical reflux and spasm of the upper esophageal muscle.
There is a muscle that encircles the top of your food tube and it hates acid. If you have reflux with stomach juice coming up this muscle will tighten and cause you to feel a lump. Stay away from acids like coffee, tea and soda. Try otc Prilosec in the am and Zantac (ranitidine) before dinner. No food or drink for three hours before laying down.

In brief: Atypical reflux
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology