I'm 35, had mustard procedure when I was 11 months old. I'm not on any meds. What symptoms should I be concerned about other than chest pain.?

Dr. Lars Erickson
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: A few things...
After a mustard procedure there are three main issues: tiring out of the chamber that pumps to the body (right ventricle), leaking of the valve leading into the rv, and abnormal heart rhythms.
Shortness of breath, chronic cough, ankle swelling, palpitations (abnormal heart rhythms) and fainting are common symptoms. The most important measure is to see your cardiologist regularly for check-ups.

In brief: A few things...
Dr. Lars Erickson
Dr. Lars Erickson
Dr. Samuel Hahn
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: See a specialist
The mustard procedure was common before complete surgical correction of tga (transposition of the great arteries).
The problem with the mustard procedure is that the rv is hooked to the aorta which over time can lead to heart failure. Most cardiologists (myself included) do not see enough pts like this, see a specialist in adult congenital heart disease. All major children's center have them.

In brief: See a specialist
Dr. Samuel Hahn
Dr. Samuel Hahn
2 comments
Dr. Lars Erickson
Unless you live in a large city, your area may not have a specialist in adult congenital heart disease. You can also see a pediatric cardiologist. We are comfortable caring for patients with congenital heart disease regardless of age, often in conjunction with an "adult" cardiologist.
Dr. Peter Varga
Indeed many University programs have Adult Congenital Heart Disease programs. While follow up with any qualified cardiologist is the most important thing ,dedicated ACHD programs usually have specialized resources often needed to adequately care for Adults with complex congenital Heart Disease such as post Mustard patients.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology