Occasionally I get a squeezing pain on the right side of my abdomen. It is relieved by drinking water and then belching. Any idea what this is??

Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Unusual

Pain in the center of the chest relieved by drinking water is characteristic of esophageal spasm, but I haven't encountered this syndrome suggesting transient spasm in the abdomen.
It's possibly a gas bubble in the intestine or transient gall bladder spasm since it's centered on the right side of the abdomen. It would be interesting to hear a gastroenterologist's opinion.

In brief: Unusual

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Jack Hinkle