My baby is crying excessively. I am still breast feeding. Her dad is allergic to shrimp, and I ate shrimp 2 days ago. Please tell me what to do. Gas.?

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal

In brief: Dr sear's diet

I agree elimination diet is important if you are nursing and your baby is fussy/colic without any other problem (ie fever, poor feeding, etc) if you need a reference google "dr sears elimination diet".
Focus mostly on foods mentioned to be avoided. If you hadn't had problems until you ate shrimp, then avoiding shellfish is all u need to do.

In brief: Dr sear's diet

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Actually...

...There are dozens of studies demonstrating that ingested material may cause fussiness in breast fed babies.
These are not chemically allergies, but intolerances, so allergens may not play a role.An elimination diet, thru trial and error is the only way to determine if there is a problem.

In brief: Actually...

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
2 comments
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Effects of early nutritional interventions on the development of atopic disease in infants and children: the role of maternal dietary restriction, breastfeeding, timing of introduction of complementary foods, and hydrolyzed formulas. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition; American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Allergy and Immunology. Pediatrics. 2008 Jan;121(1):183-91. Review.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Please read this article. It supports my claims above. And it is free for viewing. Take 10 different doctors and ask all of them the same question....you will leave with 12 different answers. The accompanying acritcle are the most recent guidelines. And it is free to view
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Colic

There is no data to support breast milk transferring allergens to the baby.
But, to be totally certain, switch to a formula (colic and gas helping formula) for a short period of time (3 days maybe) until the shrimp is totally out of your system. If crying continues, could be simple colic. If it progresses, see your pediatrician.

In brief: Colic

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Adam Levy