Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: You can, but

If you are not allergic to the contents and have a cold, taking an OTC med with DM (dextromethorphan) may be taken and should help you sleep.
I would not recommend taking the Benadryl and the OTC med with DM together. You can also check with your primary care MD.

In brief: You can, but

Dr. Lori Lange

Tussin DM treats coughs.
It may not be helpful for a cold. It contains an expectorant which thins mucous and the DM part which quiets a cough.
Try an OTC antihistamine. Better yet ask the pharmacy counter for behind the counter antihistamine with pseudoephrine. Use in morning to stop cold symptoms so you can sleep better at night.

Tussin DM treats coughs.
Dr. William Forsythe