What can I do about being allergic to the sun?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: What kind of rash?

3 kinds of skin rxns to sun - hives, sun "poisoning", photosensitivity (ps).
Ps occurs when medications in skin are altered by light rays inducing skin injury. You & your primary care md can usually figure this out. Solar hives occur early in the season when sunlight strikes untanned skin & last minutes to a few hours. Sun poisoning , an itchy bumpy rash, occurs on untanned skin last days to weeks.

In brief: What kind of rash?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
If you plan to be in the sun a lot check with your physician to see if any medications that you are taking are commonly associated with photosensitivity. For solar urticaria & sun poisoning your best bet is gradual exposure to sunlight on vacation and in spring & summer using lots of sunblock - SPF 30 or more - to help you develop a tan without burning. Don't neglect to cover up.
Dr. Jack Mutnick

In brief: Solar Allergy

See your allergist.
It might be that you are on a medication that makes your skin more susceptible to uv rays from the sun. There is also a rare urticaria called solar urticaria, that can be diagnosed by an allergist. Read up on any medications you take to see if there is increased photosensitivity as well as solar urticaria to educate yourself.

In brief: Solar Allergy

See your allergist.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Joel Selter
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma

In brief: Hives from sun

Various treatments exist including use of antihistamines prophylactically- which in my experience has not been great.
Alternatively, getting uv light treatments to desensitize you to the sun is a possibility.

In brief: Hives from sun

Dr. Joel Selter
Dr. Joel Selter