I am a very active 21 year old and for the past couple of days I have been having very bad hip pain. What can I do to make it go away?

Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

In brief: See a doc

Reasses your activity and identify the possible cause.
Start with the basics such as rest, icing, use of anti inflammatory meds, and avoidance of painful maneuvers. If no exertional cause is identified then the remote possibility of hip joint infection needs to be ruled out. Generally you may have fevers or chills but in the early stages pain may be the only symptom. See a doctor emergently.

In brief: See a doc

Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. James Huang

In brief: See your physician

Anyone can be a "doctor" including chiropractors.
Please see a physician who have the unlimited scope of practicing medicine. There can be many causes from an abscess, si joint dysfunction, avascular necrosis, fracture, and others. Without a proper history and physical, a proper diagnosis will not be obtained. Otherwise, any guess is a guess right now.

In brief: See your physician

Dr. James Huang
Dr. James Huang
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Impingement??

A common but unrecognized cause of pain is from a hip condition called femoroacetabular impingement.
This condition is commonly seen in young, active individuals and can be misdiagnosed for years. A specialist will be able to determine the true cause of your pain and provide you with treatment options.

In brief: Impingement??

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine