I’m very much physically active with hectic inhalation allergies. Virgin Active gyms with indoor pools seems to trigger my allergies badly. I therefore get ill often. I have seen some gym members training with masks on. Will they be of any use to me?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Hard to say

Although wearing a mask may potentially be helpful, much of the allergens inhaled would have come from outside of the gym (assuming it is kept clean).
Depending on the type of allergic symptoms , your doctor will be able to Rx you a medication to control your symptoms. See an allergist if you continue to have problem.

In brief: Hard to say

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine

In brief: They certainly

might be. But it seems a bit counterproductive to be working out in an environment where you have increased risk of illness! Pursue this with Gym management.
What are they doing about purifying the environment in the gym? Look into alternative work-out environments. I would think there would be a better solution to this that wearing a mask while you are working out. Stay well:)

In brief: They certainly

Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology