I had surgery to remove the fibular sesamoid bone last November after having a stress fracture. I’m still having aching pain in the ball of my foot and theres a sharp pain on a certain point of the scar when pressure is applied. Is this normal?

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: No

It is not normal. Need re-evaluation

In brief: No

It is not normal. Need re-evaluation

In brief: Nonunion vs. Bunion

Sorry you are having pain in your foot.
Please consult with a foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeon. Studies show stress fractures of the proximal 1st phalynx are associated with hallux valgus. Painful nonunion of a fracture is diagnosed by serial radiographs and can have biological or mechanical causes. Physical exam and imaging probably an MRI since you have had an operation in area. Ultrasound?

In brief: Nonunion vs. Bunion

Sorry you are having pain in your foot.
2 comments
Dr. Cornelius O'leary jr
Here is a report of a few cases,it may help you understand some of the issues. A full discussion of your activities, gait analysis, medical conditions, athletic stresses, family history, and what happened in your surgery, is out of the scope of a little box. But we empathize and hope you can see the Ortho doc to get help. http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/38/6/e31.full.pdf
Dr. Cornelius O'leary jr
Posting any imaging you have would help
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine