I need to take 4 teeth out to straighten my other teeth. When extracting, is local safer than general anesthesia? I'm really scared to extract any.

Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology
In brief: Ask Q's of DDS & MD
A good local is usually safer but but a bad local is often less safe.
Fear increases pain and pain can kill so being asleep can be safer. Local and sedation is often the best. Sometimes general is safest. If medical conditions exist there should be someone trained in anesthesia to watch you beside the person doing the procedure cannot watch you and do the procedure as well.

In brief: Ask Q's of DDS & MD
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Local is safer
In general local anesthesia is safer than general anesthesia.
If I have a patient with complex medical issues that may complicate general anesthesia, i will do the surgery with local anesthesia. However you should discuss all the options with your dentist prior to your procedure.

In brief: Local is safer
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
Less is always better. That said if you are healthy the risk if ga is very low.

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Peter Flaherty
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Local
Local is much safer than general anesthethia.
Best that you get a second opinion regarding the need for the extractions in the first place. Many times extractions may be easier but not better.

In brief: Local
Dr. Peter Flaherty
Dr. Peter Flaherty
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dentistry
In brief: Local
Local anesthesia is adequet enough almost for all extractions.
Most probably you need to extract 4 premolars (that's usually the case for ortho) they are not typically hard extractions. Don't be afraid find a good dentist and trust her or him.

In brief: Local
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dr. Babak Jouhari
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: Talk to Dentist
Most teeth extractions can be done under local anesthesia with a cooperative patient.
If there are especially impacted teeth then some sedation might be indicated. I don't even remember the procedure after a little dose of valium. If you have concerns please contact your dentist and discuss these fears with him. Good luck.

In brief: Talk to Dentist
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. John Stork
Anesthesiology
In brief: Depends.
It depends on your medical history, and where you are having the surgery.
Properly administered, general anesthesia is very safe in healthy patients. Your oral surgeon needs to have the appropriate monitoring equipment, and a separate person to monitor and administer the anesthetic. Local is also safe, and in some sicker patients may be preferred.

In brief: Depends.
Dr. John Stork
Dr. John Stork
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery