Is it safe to take Amitriptyline 50g & citalopram 40g together. I use the Amitriptyline for neuropathic pain and Citalopram for anxiety?

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: Do

you mean 50mg and 40 mg? Because those are unusually high doses.
The combination is common however the physician will have to overwrite the drug to drug interaction if using e prescribing

In brief: Do

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
3 comments
I don't consider 40mg of citalopram to be particularly high. Do agree that it would require an over-ride.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Thanks Dr, Fowler member stated 40 gram which is a very high . Agree that 4omg is definitely not a high dose

In brief: Although citalopram

plus amitriptyline can increase risk for serotonin syndrome - in reality, these types of medications are often prescribed together without problem. Just insure that your medical provider is aware of & approves of you taking both medications.
Take care.

In brief: Although citalopram

Take care.
Dr. Vikram Patel