I have moderate to severe Osteoarthritis in both knees . When is it time to get a Knee Replacement?

Dr. Laura Anissian

In brief: Symptoms

This is something you want to explore when you cannot function as you would like due to pain.
This operation will not allow you to run marathons etc, but it will improve symptoms greatly. You are young, so I would recommend not doing it now. Maintain a healthy weight, and avoid excessive jumping on knees such as with running or jump rope etc. good luck!

In brief: Symptoms

Dr. Laura Anissian
Dr. Laura Anissian

In brief: Knee replacement

You would be really young for a knee replacement.
The problem is that the new knee implant doesn't last forever which means if you get it at a young age - it may need replacement. According to the American Academy of Orthopedic surgeons, "most patients who undergo total knee replacement are age 50 to 80." Pain is not the only factor used to determine if surgery is indicated. For a list of >

In brief: Knee replacement

2 comments
conditions which may warrant knee replacement see: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00389
You are welcome. Each orthopedic surgeon is different and each knee is different. If you have a joint that is not functional - surgery may be indicated even at a much younger age. Take care.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian